Monday, May 11, 2009

Faces....Part 3

Ok I'm back to continue the story of Mr. Addis our homeless neighbor hood sculptor. To start Micheal Addis told me he was 56 years old born and lived most of his life in the city of Miami. At first when i approached him he wanted to know if i was some sort of reporter or cop which i had to assure him i wasn't before he would speak to me. After that was accomplished he began to talk to me about his work and many of his life experiences which brought him to where he is today. According to Mr. Addis he was a rambunctious kid who had a hard time following rules and staying in one place, he told stories about running away from home stealing and doing drugs. One story that stuck in my mind was of how he stole a car on south beach as a teen (about 15 or 16) picked up his best friend and drove to California. Mr. Addis was very forthcoming with most information about his life. He explained to me that he always knew he was an artist, even from an early age building little sculptures and animals for his friends as a child,but despite his talent and enthusiasm his parents did not support nor condone these desires. Mr. Addis told me of an accident he had it North Caronlina with his younger brother which ended with him in a coma. According to him he was awoken from his hospital bed by the screeching sound of a trash can being slid across the floor by one of the hospitals janitors. After this near tragic event he said "I almost died and realized i was wasting my time..... i need to use the talent i have been given and do what i've always wanted to do".






1 comment:

  1. Great job. This personal worn is really taking off. Great content and composition. exposuer is right on. Keep keepin on.

    ReplyDelete